Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One little set back...

I would find it hard to believe someone if he or she said that the economy has not negatively impacted them. That being said so far it hasn't been so bad for me. I've lost 40% of my 401(k) but I'm only 22 so I have plenty of time for that to bounce back up. However, I've just been hit. Hit pretty bad.

My husband is days away from being laid off. I'm in an internal state of panic. We are stretched pretty thin each month as it is. Plus, with unemployment the way its going it doesn't look like there will really be any full time jobs available for him.

There is really only one option for us at this point. He needs to go back to school. He served 4 years in the military so he is fortunate enough to have the G.I. Bill, which is vastly improving in August. He qualifies to have 100% of tuition and fees paid for and on top of that receive $830 a month for living expenses. He would also get $1000 per year for books. In addition, in the state we live in (TN) because he served in Iraq he is also qualified for $1000 at the end of every completed semester. He would have to work a part time job to make ends meet but most students do.

Steve's not so sure we can make it. However, I will be graduating in December and hopefully have a full time job then. But more importantly, this will give him the skills in order to obtain the job of his dreams and not just something to pay the bills.

I encourage any veteran out there who has gotten or may get laid off to seriously consider getting some use out of the G.I. Bill. It may not work for all veterans but its worth looking into. Its a sacrifice in present income but can dramatically increase future income. And with the job market right now...there is almost nothing to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment